Hide-the-Word Wednesday: Mind Games

on April 15, 2015
There is nothing like visiting your alma mater to start you on a journey down memory lane.

This past weekend I drove to Charlottesville with my daughters.  We had some lovely experiences and, as usual, the scenery was beautiful.  But I also found myself making a pretty negative assessment of the 20+ years since I first arrived on the grounds of the University of Virginia.  Opportunities that I didn’t take advantage of.  Connections that I didn’t make.

While it may be true that I could have done many things differently over the past 20 years, that is not the complete story.  In the midst of that pitiful remembering, I was forgetting what a rich time of spiritual growth college had been for me. And there is one very important connection that I did make at UVA—I met my future husband! With whom I would eventually have 4 beautiful children!  I would not trade any of that for any experience in the world. And for every blessing God has allowed me to see, who knows how many troubles from which He spared me?!

But sometimes my replay button skips important scenes.  So that, for example, I remember only the good that I (think I) did when defending myself against (real or imagined) accusations.  Or I focus only on mistakes and mishaps while ignoring the good that has happened.  It’s as if my thoughts have a mind of their own. 🙂  If left to wander unrestrained, unguided by truth, they can lead to all kinds of dark places.  And before I know it, I’ve been driving for 2 hours, meditating on nonsense all along Route 29.  Such thoughts—whether they exalt self, or trivialize Christ’s work in and for me—have no place in the mind of His follower.

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the  knowledge of God,  and we take captive every thought  to make it  obedient  to  Christ.  ~2 Corinthians 10:5

Grotta Azzura (Blue Grotto), Capri, Italy by Frédéric de Goldschmidt

How good is your replay? Do you tend to leave out important scenes?

37 responses to “Hide-the-Word Wednesday: Mind Games

1. Rebekah Postupak says:

“Sometimes my replay button skips important scenes….” This is SO true! what a distorted view we sometimes create for ourselves, both of the past and even (dare I say it???) of the present. Praying for godly eyes to see things as they are: time moves at the will of God, and I am safe in the hand of God. Thank you for sharing!

2. One thing I’ve discovered (especially lately) is that what I focus on is what I feel. So if I’m focusing on my mistakes and regrets, then I feel like a loser. But when I focus on the good God is doing in my life, instead of the lack that I sometimes see, I feel encouraged and loved. Quite a striking difference, I’d say! Thanks for your authentic and wise words here, Susan. You speak the truth and it is encouraging to us all!

3. My replay tends to stick on replay. Like an old record player. And every time I think I’ve moved past the event, the record has come right back around and skipped right back to the groove I thought I had finally moved out of. Giving things to God and leaving them there is so much tougher to do than it sounds.

I considered making this post about the verse in Philippians, forgetting what is behind … but I did that already. Still, it’s an area that challenges me. That sticky replay button!

4. Lux Ganzon says:

I love dropping by my alma mater too. Memories either good and bad can bring a smile to your face and even make you realize a few things you take for granted then. 🙂

5. This is such a great reminder that our recall isn’t always exactly accurate!

6. time2refuel says:

I definitely replay all the wrong scenes. Woulda’, Shoulda’, Coulda thoughts reminding me of how I could have done better. Trying so hard to live better, focusing on what God wants me to remember. Thanks for sharing the reminder. ♥

7. It’s definitely the human condition to recall the negative over the positive. Fortunately Christ is here to remind us of all the good too.

Thanks for sharing and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop.

Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

8. I love it that we are both focusing on the same Scripture passage today! I smiled from ear to ear when I saw your graphic. 🙂

9. kristen says:

I agree–our thoughts can wander unless guided by truth! It’s so important to be in the word so we can combat those thoughts! Visiting from Fellowship Friday!

10. Thank you for this post. I do have to be careful how much time I spend looking in the rear view mirror. “Taking captive every thought” sounds like a good beginning.

11. Mary Geisen says:

Beautiful truth today. We are so quick to judge ourselves and what we see as our accomplishments or all that we did not accomplish. How much better would it be if we focused on the positive experiences that have brought us to where we are today. Blessed you shared this at The Weekend Brew.

12. Holly says:

The good thing about looking at the negative is that normally when we look back at these times, we can see the hand of God all over them. Thank you so much for sharing at Waiting on…Wednesday!

13. Lux Ganzon says:

This makes me remember to always focus on the good things as it affects how I feel. My mistakes are not who I am. 🙂

“My mistakes are not who I am,” would make a great screen saver, bumper sticker, and wall plaque! Something to remember every single day. I appreciate your visit, Lux!

14. Cheryl Smith says:

This is such a wonderful post and reminder of how we need to focus on the good God has brought into our lives and not upon our own mistakes and failures. I love what you said about not “trivializing” the things God has done. I so appreciate the sweet encouragement you left on my blog. So happy to “meet” you! God bless you. 🙂

15. I can relate so much to this post! It is so true!

Thank you for the reminder to “take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.” 🙂

Thank you for sharing!

16. Jennifer @ A Divine Encounter says:

You’ve shared important wisdom here. The only looking back that I’ve found to be helpful is looking back on God’s faithfulness. Though my mind sometimes strays to the past, too, I agree with you that it’s a pretty fruitless way to spend our time. I’m glad you linked up with us at Grace & Truth!

17. JES says:

Excellent point! We often linger on the negative which isn’t healthy because we can’t change our past. We must look forward to the future and live in the day. Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Have a wonderful week.

18. sarahgirl3 says:

I totally beat myself up for all the perceived dumb or silly things I did and forget the good.
    Right there with you!

19. Yes, the mind can be so tricky. I love how God gives us clear instructions, as you showed, on how to fight back. Let’s do it! Great words of truth here. Cheering you on from the #RaRalinkup on Purposeful Faith.