Hide-the-Word Wednesday: Jesus, Our Priest and Friend

on March 11, 2015

Earlier today, I was flipping through my copy of “The Jesus I Never Knew.” If I remember correctly, it was my younger brother who gave it to me, years ago during a significant period in my faith journey. At the time, I was pretty well-acquainted with the sacred Jesus, the Jesus of the Crucifix. But prior to reading Yancey’s book, I probably hadn’t thought very often of Jesus as, “a Jew in Galilee with a name and a family, a person who was in a way just like everyone else.” Yet, He hungered, and slept.
Jesus wept, and was tempted.
He experienced rejection and betrayal.

Though divine, He also was and is intimately acquainted with our very human struggles. He is the ultimate Mediator and Reconciler, giving us access to unlimited mercy and grace.  What a privilege it is to meet this Jesus.

For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.  Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. ~Hebrews 4:15-16

image credit: Trees in Gethsemane, Jerusalem by Mewasul under Creative Commons

Is it hard to imagine our Savior tempted as we are? Isn’t it comforting to know that He was?

14 responses to “Hide-the-Word Wednesday: Jesus, Our Priest and Friend

1. kleebanks says:

This is beautiful and amazingly timely, as I blogged on a very similar topic yesterday in my daily devotions post! Thanks for sharing!

2. Brittany at EquippingGodlyWomen.com says:

We don’t think about that Jesus nearly enough, do we?

3. For awhile I worked with ironworkers and carpenters, some of whom were ex-cons and had otherwise chequered pasts…and one day I had an epiphany.

It was with this class of chaps that Jesus spent His time, and He would have had no traction with them if He did not understand what drove and buffeted them…including temptation.

Made Him a lot more real to me.

And I am here from Wedded Wednesday.

Not all of us, when we come across pasts we consider chequered, realize what you did about the company Jesus kept. How wonderful that you had that epiphany. And thank you for stopping by!

4. Dana says:

It is SO comforting to know that Jesus struggled. He understands our struggles that we face. It is great to have a Savior who knows how we feel. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this! (Your neighbor at Thought-provoking-thursday)

5. Martin says:

Good post. Enjoyed stopping by.

6. I have one of his books, Soul Survivor. One of my favorites. I’ve been wanting to check out his others too. Aren’t you glad we have a God who is acquainted with our sufferings?

7. time2refuel says:

Last year right before Easter I spoke to my kids about how we need to understand the reality of what He went through on the day He was crucified. He suffered rejection, pain and abandonment in a huge way. I actually had them watch a scene from the Passion of Christ (don’t call HRS) so they could get a taste of what He endured. They said they were now scarred for life but you know what? Now they understand how much He loves us and won’t ever forget it. 🙂

It’s really part of the foundation of our faith. As brutal as it was, it’s something we all need to understand. May they never forget and may we never forget!