Hide-the-Word Wednesday: A Work in Progress

on February 4, 2015

A few weeks ago, I spent a Saturday afternoon purging and reorganizing my bedroom closet. It was long overdue and I was very pleased with the results. But as I basked in the glow of neatly-folded tee-shirts and shoes pointing in the same direction, I started to wonder how quickly the closet would deteriorate back into chaos. It wasn’t the first time I had reorganized it, after all. After a while my wonder turned to discouragement. In fact, lately I have been lamenting over other things in my life that I’ve tried to “clean up”—discipline with time and money, patience with my children, confidence and openness in relationships—only to feel like I never change for the long term. (Some of these lamentations may have been brought on by a certain birthday coming up this year … Maybe.) But just as my closet gets used every day, and isn’t going to stay makeover-new without constant care, my soul needs constant renewal. I can’t just check in with Jesus once in a while; I have to remain in Him in order to bear fruit. I also need to remember that God’s timeline for change is different from mine. God knows how old I will be this year, and He isn’t worried or hurried about it. He won’t be done with me, until He’s done.

being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

image credit: containerstore.com

Are you ever discouraged about your spiritual progress? What are your favorite mind-renewing verses?

12 responses to “Hide-the-Word Wednesday: A Work in Progress

1. Rebekah Postupak says:

How many times do I have to be in this place?? –As many times as it takes. ❤

2. Dana says:

How true that we must stay attached to the vine to bear fruit! I am so guilty of thinking that I can walk away and survive for awhile, until I realize that I can’t! (usually because I have failed somewhere) Thanks for reminding me that I am not alone. We all need constant renewal. (I love that phrase!) (I’m your neighbor on Woman to Woman link-up!)

I was sharing with a friend: it’s too bad that it often takes failure or pain to remind me to plug back into the vine. But He’s so merciful and always welcomes us back. Thanks for stopping by, Dana!

3. Gina Duke says:

I’m with you, sister! I get my closet looking wonderful and then in a couple of weeks, I can’t even tell I did anything. I want to be one of those people who can keep it altogether in area of my life. I definitely need Jesus! He is my only hope 🙂 Stopping by from Thought Provoking Thursday linkup.

4. Being Woven says:

This is good! I need to allow this work-in-progress to be just that. Your analogy is great and so real.
    “I can’t just check in with Jesus once in a while; I have to remain in Him in order to bear fruit.” This sentence really touched me and will be one to add to my journal.
    Visiting from Lyli’s.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

5. joanneviola says:

It is so true. If you let your closet go for a few days, it can turn into such a mess. A verse I have been on all week – Colossians 2:7. Visiting from Hearts for Home today. Blessings!

May we stay “rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith” as we have been taught, and “abounding in it with thanksgiving.” Thank you for sharing that reference. 🙂

6. Abby says:

Very thought provoking post. Yes, we do have to constantly seek him and spend time with him in order to keep our minds from deteriorating. One of my favorite verses on this topic is Romans 12:2: “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Thanks for sharing. -Abby (visiting from Equipping Godly Women)